Monday, June 13, 2011

The Unofficial 5k

I was out an running on Sunday morning…the sun was shining and it was warm…well no it wasn’t but I was after about 5 minutes in  (that is what happens when you are a big guy.)  Anyhow I did manage to get my new shoes I found a pair of used Nike Lunarlites and I love them.  The first day I got blisters on my little toes, but that was my mistake not the shoes, I had tied the laces too tight, no problems since then. 

Anyhow I’ve been becoming more comfortable in my just going and running but Sunday I only saw a couple of people I was up and going at 6 a.m.  I was determined to make it a nice long workout, I had in my mind an Unofficial 5k Challenge. 

I ended up with 51:52, 3.72 miles and 955 calories.  My pace was 13:57 not bad considering the distance….Not only did I set bests on my miles, time, and calories, the only reason I turned to head home was the pollen level was getting to me and I needed to get some water.  Well that and I had a couple of things that needed to get done at home before I headed to Milwaukee to see the Brewers. 

The schedule continued this morning, I was planning a longer route but when I woke up I was STIFF and my shins were very sore.  Luckily enough for me the schedule was a blue only route with no green zones.  Tomorrow will be a tough one but hopefully I can make it through I’m still battling through the green areas for a length of time but I am getting stronger and better at it.  Hoping to find a way to keep up the “running” as it is still fun and heck it is going on about a month or so.  I’ve decided I’m going to get out every day as long as my legs let me.  My first hurdle lies ahead this weekend.  I am visiting the in-laws in central WI and I’m intrigued at how they will respond as I wake up and just get going real early.  My weekend routes have been the longest and with going home to gravel roads I have a feeling that I can up the distance and time this weekend as well I hope to give good results when I get back. 

The side result of this unofficial challenge is now I have a benchmark to compete against each week.  I hope to beat that time and distance in two weekends on the same route so it is a fair comparison of my progress. I do know one thing I will need to get a water bottle that will be easy to carry if I am going to go further I got pretty thirsty on the way...

Until next time Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment